St John's Parish Church was built in 1744. Before this time Knutsford
was part of the large Rostherne parish with St Mary's in Rostherne
being the local parish church.
It is St John's were the Gaskells were married. Although Elizabeth
and her husband were both Unitarians, the wedding took place in
Knutsford Parish Church, according to the legal requirements of
Sessions House was built in 1818. Knutsford Gaol, or House of Correction
as it was called, stood on the site behind the Court House. The
area is now used as a Bus Station and car park. It was built in
1617 as an additional County Gaol to the one at Chester which had
become overcrowded as a result of the sudden increase in petty crime
after the Napoleonic Wars.