Canute Place is situated at the bottom of Princess
Street. In the 19th Century in was often used as a spall open-air
market for livestock.
For many years the corner of Canute Place opposite
the Red Cow Inn was known as Mary Moston's Corner after the keeper
of the stationery shop, this is now the Royal Bank of Scotland.
The Red Cow, was built opposite in 1758 and has also been known
over the years as the Brown Cow after a famous breed of Cheshire
The thatched cottages that once lined Canute Place
were replaced by small houses and shops built by Lord Egerton. In
the 1960's however, these too were replaced by the shops and flats
which can be seen today.