One of the oldest buildings in Knutsford, and still used for worship.
This Protestant dissenters chapel dates from 1689, when the Act
granting freedom of worship, was passed. Its whitewashed walls and
latticed windows create an air of serenity to all who visit it.
Mrs Gaskell was a member of the congregation as a girl, and taught
in the Sunday School. Mr Benson's Chapel in 'Ruth' is drawn from
her knowledge of Brook Street Chapel. Mrs Gaskell is buried in the
graveyard of the chapel, together with her husband and two unmarried
Rev. George Payne and family were photographed by her grave. Students
of Mrs. Gaskell's life and works, are indebted to the Rev. Payne
for his book on Mrs Gaskell. The Rev. Payne, as well as being Unitarian
Minister for 40 years, was also the first honorary librarian when
Knutsford's new library was opened in 1904.