Grange Cottage, Chelford Road. This is one of Knutsford's older
buildings. The rendered exterior gives no clues to the wealth of
beams which have been exposed in the interior of the house. Originally
this would have been an open hall, single storey building. In the
course of its life, an upper floor and staircase have been added.
It is probable that Richard Bertington was the occupant of the
house in 1641. In 1850 it was a Dame School, where it is alleged,
the school marm could not read or write. This was probably Jane
Roylance, who gave her occupations as "Schoolmistress"
when the census enumerator called, in 1841.
Joan Leach 17.4.02