The estate passed to the Egerton family in 1598 AD (and remained
in their care until it was given to the National Trust in 1958 AD).
The main hall, ornate roof and other features located and perceived
by archaeologists suggest that the building was once a house of
considerable importance, having an 'E' shape with two wings and
an entrance porch (similar to Lymm Hall) or a 'U' shape, and facing
the green of 'Tatton Green' village.
inventory of 1614 AD held at Cheshire County Records Office lists
Tatton Old Hall as follows: "Parlour, Greate Parlour, Greate
Chamber, Brewhouse (for pickles and preserves), Buttery and House"
with a "Work House (workshop ?), Pottery Kiln and Mill".
There would also have been barns, out-buildings, possibly a yard
Strangely, it is not known when the Lords of Tatton (the Breretons
or Egertons) moved to the site of the new Tatton Hall but it was
probably in the late seventeenth century (1650 AD to 1700 AD). Right:
inside Tatton Old Hall
The cellar under the library has a date stone of 1718 AD and the
dining room is in a style of about 1750 AD. The new house was finally
begun in about 1788 AD to 1791 AD.